Saturday, February 14, 2015

More on Dog tags and Body bags - a story for Peace!



 
Nancy Odle Dog tags and body bags are a part of world history that is undertold and under validated. My husband's grandfathers and my grandfather suffered their whole lives and never said a word about what they endured. It was not until after their deaths and getting into some of their writing (the letters, for example, that my grandfather wrote while in the Pacific; he was unbeknownst to me a Navy Captain) that I began to understand the pain in the stories that they hid. If only we cared as much about them in a way that kept us from sending them at all. One part, as historian, that I do know is that America is much more conservative about offering up the lives of their young men (and children!) than many countries. NO MORE WAR will be a day to look forward to for our world. Perhaps through stories like these we will deem this kind of conflict completely unacceptable, as it should be per the 10 commandments.
 
Ron Alexander Thank you so much dear Nancy, your comment is exactly the reason I am passionate about spreading his message, and helping other vets. tell their stories as many really think like Barry! The letter sent home from the snipers friend, who was killed beside him, was also anti-war. The scene in the movie where his Mother is reading his letter at his graveside is true. That the sniper said "that was what killed him"! was not true - made up by the screenwriter. Can you imagine if you were that Mother seeing that comment made in the movie? Horrendous!
Awesome to hear from you dear Brian, and thanks for memories of Honey and wonderful photos of coyote puppy - good for you. Tomas Pinkson would love that work and he is big supporter of my Peace work with Barry's Story. Here is one response I just got today. I am getting many Barry's supporters positive responder. I am thinking of writing screenplay - what do you think?
 
 
Thank you for that. I just got home from 
watching American Sniper. Perfect 
timing. I knew it was going to be jingoistic, 
which it was. Earlier today I 
found a recording of Matthew Fox's Original 
Blessing. I listened to it all the 
way to SF and back (to Sonoma County). It 
really helped to shine a light on that 
movie and the belief systems behind it. 
I could see beyond the idea of good guys 
and bad guys to witness the results of 
several thousand years of patriarchal 
insanity and a religious worldview that 
is so twisted. Not just in the US but 
throughout the world. I marched several 
times before Bush's Iraq War. I could 
scarcely believe we seemed to have learned 
nothing from Vietnam. The roots of 
our spiritual ignorance are deep. 

Meanwhile, I've hooked up with Project Coyote 
recently. They just succeeded in 
making California the first state in the US 
to ban competitive hunting of 
wolves, coyotes, foxes, etc. I met the 
founder Camilla Fox a few months ago 
after donating footage of the six coyote 
pups who grew up out back last year. I 
told her all about Honey's ceremony on 
Ring Mountain and how those two huskies 
took turns standing up and kissing us all 
in turn. 

I'm currently writing a new fable for kids 
called Little Red Gliding Hood. It's 
aim is to turn this wolf phobia around. 
No small task. 

Between Matthew Fox's discourse on our 
spiritual malaise before the movie and 
your beautiful tribute to your brother 
afterwards I find more peace in my heart 
after vicariously witnessing so much insanity. 

Thanks once again. 

Brian

Here's one of my little backyard buddies. One morning all six of them sat in the 
field and howled at the rising sun. 

No comments: