Sunday, December 5, 2021

Inter-Being Thich Nhat Hanh's "ENGAGED BUDDHISM" ("A revolutionary practice")

Great post, thank you. Thich Nhat Hanh described how, during the Vietnam war, in order to help the victims outside their window get to the hospital, the monks had to develop mindfulness. That’s where his famous mindful walking and breathing meditations come from. He speaks about not turning away from the practical world, but keeping your spirituality while you face it, whatever is happening, through these practices. They would literally meditate on their feet hitting the pavement as they helped injured victims into stretchers.
I think the idea of compassion is so important in spirituality because it’s how our singular consciousness enters the super consciousness. As Prabupadha says, compassion means we can go from feeling what’s inside our own body only, to literally feeling what’s inside another persons body. Compassion means we can hijack human consciousness and enter into Oneness, and consciously experience shared consciousness. Love means to understand, and if you understand someone’s pain, simply understanding it elevates their pain some. If nobody understands your pain, if nobody is compassionate with you, your chances of rotting with that pain are far greater.
I agree with your post. Survival instincts are very dense and unmovable. But I think the point is to be able to conquer even them. Gandhi spoke of complete passivity - if a bear attacks, you let it kill you. Monks have set themselves on fire. As a mother, I don’t see how that kind of complete selflessness is possible. But perhaps in another life where I don’t have kids, I could reach that place. We are all experiencing karma, and, as you say, life isn’t the same for everybody. You just do the best you can with what you’ve got. Compassion, though, is something we’re all capable of in different measures because we have all suffered in some way. Expanding our compassionate nature is one sure-fire way to create a better world for everybody ultimately.
Mo Kennedy The Hampshires, England

This is absolutely correct and the roots of the Plum Village Community of Engaged Buddhism (our tradition's full name).
Mindfulness became the way his followers meditated throughout the day, through their actions. It kept them compassionate. 
This was radical and because he created and encouraged engaged Buddhist practice, he was thrown out of the temple and his tradition. But many years later he was invited back to transform and lead the tradition.

You can read about these early roots in Thay's book Fragrant Palm Leaves and/or in Sister Chan Kong's book Learning True Love. 

We are participants in a revolutionary practice. :-D
Here is Mo's reply: I am new to Thich Nhat Hanh too, I just finished his mini book ‘how to love’ and am now reading ‘how to eat’, the simplicity of his teachings are so refreshing. That’s amazing that you belong to a sangha with connections to Hanhs temple! It must be absolutely fascinating studying under such an authority. I sent her your reply above and told her about Zoom and invited her, can she do that from England? Breathing gratefully
May be an image of one or more people and text that says 'You are me, and I am you. Isn't it obvious that we "inter-are"? You cultivate the flower in yourself, so that I will be beautiful. I transform the garbage in myself, so that you will not have to suffer. I support you; you support me. I am in this world to offer you peace; you are in this world to bring me joy Thich Nhat Hanh'
Like
Comment

No comments: