Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Best Gratitude Teacher In Your Life? Very Different Answers!

Brother David Stiendle-Rast:
http://www.gratefulness.org/brotherdavid/index.htm
This wonderful teacher would be a great speaker and workshop leader (meditation teacher) locally. I was blessed to be a participant of one of his lectures at Green Gulch Zen Buddhist Center in California.Presently I am re-reading his book gratefulness - the heart of prayer for about the tenth time.Gratefulness, The Heart of Prayer: An Approach to Life in Fullness by David Steindl-Rast and Henri J. M. Nouwen (Paperback - Aug 1984)
"In daily life we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy"Brother David Steindle-Rast from his gift shop on gratefulness.org "

Reply by drmike 1 day ago
Ron,This is an easy one: by far my Aunt Helen. She already had 5 kids and an troublesome marriage at the time that my mother died--her fraternal twin sister. The choice for her was rather easy, when her sister died she took in the four nephew and neices so that the family would remain unified, and kids (including me) would not get shipped out to orphanages. That's the old South. God first and family. WE do this togther, and material things are not the priority. I have been blessed to have more than one mother on this earth. I have never been abandoned.

For this I remain eternally grateful, knowing that I am deeply loved. I make it an effort to love back without reservation, as was done for me.

Thanks much for allowing me to pay that tribute.Mike


Dear Dr. Mike,
What a difference in culture. My experience has been diametrically opposite to yours. I was brought up in the privileged white South. An incredibly different "Old South"! My mother recently virtually left me out of her will, and being liberal did not help. Now, my Aunt Jo, who controls most of the ancestral lands appears to be entrenched against me. They lived together the last few years of my Mom's life and Fox News was their bible and Bush and all the Republican Fatcats with their lacky newscasters were their prophets. They and most white Southerners I know are scared to death of "liberals and Obama." I have even written a poem "Loss of Privilege". I may share that on the poetry group? Anyway I am very grateful to be getting to know you and lets keep writing about the differences in our upbringing - it's worthwhile education!
By the way, none of my relatives called me (most are 6 hours away) during the recent nearby catastrophic fire, and I did get a 30 day notice to leave this beautiful old beachhouse that Dad had artfully designed, and that I have been slowly renovating for over three years.Everybody around here thought I would inherit it, as I am the last remaining son. I have successfully fought off the "notice", but I don't know how long I can do that! Anyway, from my relatives, "I don't feel that deep love" that you are so grateful for...It has made me turn more to my Creator, and that is what I am grateful for.
Much gratitude to you, Ron

Reply by drmike
Hey Ron,Don't worry it's not all bliss.
I have a Republican brother I'm estranged from for some 20 years. I'm keeping him out of my will as well.

However, he is always in my heart should he every want to make any effort at reconciliation.

Sorry about the weather and the elements down there, God is still the best judge and guide. He could and would if sought! Best, Mike


Permalink Reply by Heli Aarniranta on May 1, 2009 at 11:38am
Life it self.Most of the time the people I encounter in my life.Truth I am grateful to truth.I am grateful to my son and his love.Swami NithyanandaDDattatreya Siva BabaAnd now I am grateful for YOU my new friend to be connected.so there is always so much to be grateful for everyday we find new ways to be grateful and experience it fully!

Permalink Reply by Mike Mallory on May 5, 2009 at 10:34am
I am grateful for "Want What You Have: Discovering Magic and Grandeur of Everyday Existence" by Timothy Miller, Harper Collins Publishers, Incorporated / October 1993In the book Miller suggests that we be guided by three principles:AttentionCompassion, andGratitude.Miller's approach reminds me of cognitive therapy, which I find limited, but he did have a life clarifying impact on me. Since listening to an audio edition of his book over 10 years ago, I have tried to hold his three principles up as a guiding structure in my life.Mike Mallory

No comments: