Wednesday, April 22, 2015

This Digital Story is about my Brother Barry, who was killed in Vietnam with only 2 weeks left. I had read that there were 100 dog tags of South Carolina casualties at the Vietnam Experience at Patriots Pt. in Mt. Pleasant just across the river from Charleston on Veterans Day in 2014. I drove over there to find a realistic mock up of a Vietnam Bunkered MASH (medical assistance site hospital). Dear Barry flew a unarmed medevac helicopter, and the wounded warriors there really appreciated those angels in Vietnam, who had one of the most dangerous jobs in war. They had to fly in heatly contested battles to rescue the wounded and pick up the dead. Barry wanted to "help not hurt" and warned me to stay out of Vietnam, and with 2 brother rule, I spent my time running a lab in Alaska. I had serious survivors guilt and grief, and finding his dogtag there, was very therapeutic for me. That is what this story is basically about.

No comments: