Friday, April 24, 2015

Soldiers like Barry, who had ATSD, should be taken out of Combat area

Barry did not have PTSD. He had ATSD - Acute Traumatic Stress Disorder. Let me explain, I noticed his very distraught look on his face
on one of his photos. He was leaning against the helicopter, and finally after looking at photo several times, I noticed that the inside of the helicopter was packed with body bags. No wonder he looked so dejected. I asked the supervising psychologist - Barry is in the middle of the heat of the battle, so it could not be POST Traumatic Disorder, what would it be called?  ACUTE traumatic stress disorder is the diagnosis, and any soldier diagnosed with this condition should not be in the combat zone. My dear Brother Barry should not have been flying in that condition with only 2 weeks left out of a 13 month commitment. Unfortunately, at that time ATSD was not recognized as well as PTSD. One of my purposes as a volunteer peer support therapist at the VA is to help get this information out to the medics in the war zones so they can know when to take soldiers out of the combat area.

No comments: