Friday, April 18, 2014

The Space of Peace - how to respond rather than react

Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.  Victor Frankl

A good way to practice this space is during breathing meditation, practice the pause between inhalation and exhalation. Inhale love, Pause Peace, Exhale joy
In Mindfulness training, this SPACE has really helped in the conflict mentioned in the post below this one. Because of this Peace Pause, I was able to keep my equanimity with an irrational angry person (the "pirate") who was doing his best to make me the bad guy and himself the victim! By keeping my peace, I was able to diffuse the situation at that moment and several other encounters over a week.






Mary Rose Absolutely, have the "ability to respond" with wisdom, compassion and grace always.

Ron Alexander And at same time, seeing their innocent little child inside what may be a raving maniac? Can you see child in a temper tantrum in this scary looking man?

Ron Alexander's photo.

 
Mary Rose No I see it hurting lost soul who is lacking love, both from self & others...
 
Mary Rose well yes ok, that would be the innocent inner child indeed
 


Ra Divakar Well, Mary Rose has that poor soul covered - bless his heart! Just needs a hug lol!
 

Ron Alexander You hug him Ra lol!

 
 

Ron Alexander Space of Peace - how to not react is subject of what I learned from this melodrama, and will write about it soon.
 

Miriam StJohn Please write as soon as you can. This whole week I have been practicing "how to not react," especially to situations that look like an opening to melodrama.
 

Miriam StJohn My goodness, the quiet and stability as a result is unbelievable!
 

Ron Alexander Oh, dear Miriam StJohn, is your second reply due to reading "Space of Peace"?


Miriam StJohn No. I haven't heard of it.



 
Ron Alexander Hmm, what do you attribute your "quiet and stability to" Miriam StJohn? Here is "Space of Peace" - Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom. Victor Frankl

  •  
    Miriam StJohn It was just what happened when I practiced. Felt like very cool water running over the body.
     

  •  
    Ron Alexander Please tell us what you "practice" Miriam St. John?
     

  •  
    Miriam StJohn Oh, I wrote the above comment before I saw yours. That is so absolutely correct! "In that space is our power to choose our response." That is what I realized too. That there is a certain power in that space to decide, which I could use, or not use, as I choose. That is one helluva breakthrough.

     
    Ron Alexander Yes! thanks so much Miriam

    Miriam StJohn The stability comes from feeling grounded in that space, at that place. I am not running away,.I am doing nothing but simply standing fixed, until I make a decision whether to react or not.

    Miriam StJohn: I should share with you that the practice came from a culmination of knowledge that came to me this week. First, there was Adrian Reid who posted something about everything we do converging into the desire to please God. That really hit me, so I started thinking before every action whether this would be something that would advance God's agenda. That worked wonders, because the ego had to get out of the way. Then I read Jerry and Esther Hicks' books "Sara" Volumes 1 and 2 (now on 3). She suggested that when we are dealing with something unpleasant or problematic, we would do better to wait until we "feel good" to take further action. The more I gravitated to "good feelings," the less I wanted to react to anything that might stir up bad feelings. Practicing those two ideas meant that I dropped a lot of melodrama in just a short space of time, and I could see that if i made that a habit, I would have longer expanses of "good feelings" and the problems would either resolve themselves or I would resolve them in a more Christ-conscious way.

    Ron Alexander With all due respect, I am into the KISS - keep it simple sweetheart! Here is "Space of Peace" - Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom. Victor Frankl (with practice by paying attention to the pause between the inhalation and exhalation)
     
  •  
    Dean A. Banks An old salty dog never drowns; he floats to sail another day. You will be at the helm again, dear friend. I know it!
     
  •  
    Miriam StJohn Well, don't forget, I didn't know about the concept of "Space of Peace," yet I stumbled upon it, be it by a circuitous route. I have no doubt that Victor Frankl did not get to that point without some sort of circuitous route! Then he simplified it for you and me.
     
  • Ron Alexander Oh, I completely agree with you Miriam StJohn on that - I have been around many circles to get back to the same place lol!
     

    Ron Alexander Dr. Dean A. Banks - mindfulness, meditation, metaphysics, and hopefully becoming a teacher emphasizing stress relief is my primary motivation now, and sailing is not a motivation for me at this time. I really believe what Thoreau said - "most men (humans) are living a life quiet desperation?" I know that applies to most of my life and most I know - what say you?


     

     


    No comments: