Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Poem and a Prayer for Mom - Evelyn, Who Departed on Christmas Eve

Mom was a very gregarious, vivacious person. She was a dynamo who loved traveling, and many people. In turn, she was very beloved. She enjoyed living and laughing alot. She prayed alot. According to her sister, Laura Jo Berry, she "wore me out with her long prayer list every night - I had to go to bed before she finished." In her sweet little Ruhama United Methodist Church, she was helped to the altar every Sunday by her friend Marion after the sermon. There she would put in more time praying for about everybody she knew.

Accordingly, the two services in her honor after her passing had alot of light-spirited socialness.

This poem "Miss Me - But Let Me Go..."(anonymous) was read at her funeral (put the emphasis on "fun") by her cousin Ruthie Edmunds. Even Rev. Amy Dill's sermon was full of sweet humor.


Miss Me - But Let Me Go

When I come to the end of the road
And the sun sets for me,
I want no rites in a gloom-filled room,
Why cry for a soul set free.
Miss me a little - but not too long,
And not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that we once shared,
Miss me - but let me go.

For this is a journey we all must take,
And each must go alone.
It is all part of the Master's plan,
A step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart
Go to the friends we know,
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds,
Miss me - but let me go...

I picked out Saint Theresa's Prayer, as I thought it suited Mom's fun and prayerful personality.

May today there be peace within.
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given you.
May you be content knowing you are a child of God.
Let this Presence settle into your bones,
And allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
It is there for each and every one of us.

May we all enjoy a loving joyous peaceful new year.
Yours in gratefulness, Ron Alexander

No comments: