Friday, January 19, 2018

I followed a path not widely used and followed a Bobcat.



Image result for bobcats in south carolina
On the way back from the trees, yesterday, I walked down a path rarely used and found myself following a big Bobcat.

It was slowly moving in front of me, I whistled and the Bobcat turned around and stared at me 2 times, at curve in path he disappeared in brush. I looked closely and he/she was sitting down watching me, so I got my camera and attempted several shots, but the camoflage was too thick to get a good shot. however (s)he was at least 2x the size a house tomcat and the S.C. photo is a dead ringer.


Bobcats are found throughout the lower 48 states, but are rare in many upper midwestern states. They are found throughout South Carolina, being most abundant in the Coastal Plain, but apparently increasing in the Piedmont.

SCDNR - Mammal - Species - Bobcat - SC.gov

www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/species/bobcat.html


In Yosemite valley, one cold May day with snow still on the grounds,  Hiking with my awesome dog, Honey, I had a close encounter with a Bobcat cousin, a Lynx.


No comments: