Sunday, June 19, 2011

Disagreement? Maybe Both are Right?

I get confused sometimes: "I am not my body." or "My body is the temple of my Spirit." Then there are questions of becoming egoless or selfless or developing a healthy balanced ego or a strong sense of self. Or are we to be of this world or wait for "Paradise" in the "next life"?
Rev. Margaret Hiller in her talk at Unity today proclaimed:


There is always more than one right answer. Quantum Physics proves this...

What I have learned is that there are two completely different ways to the Absolute. One is negation - it is not this, it is not that, I am not this, I am not that...I am not my body, I am not my ego...and the other is affirmation, Yes, I am that, I am this, I AM - both paths are legitimate. Yet, I choose the more affirmative YES! I AM! The key is picking ONE and sticking with it.Ra Divakar

"The path of negation and the path of affirmation seem to contradict each other. Which one is correct? Which should I adopt?" Peter Oppenheimer inquiry to his guru Nataraja Guru ("Nitya") in his book MIRROR BY THE ROAD.
Guru replied, "It is a disease peculiar to the Western mind to think that things must be either This or That. In the East people think things are once 'both this and that' and neither 'this and that.' Either of these paths, if folllowed diligently to their conclusion, will lead to the Absolute. Think of it in terms of your self. Either you should think, 'I am nothing, not even this body, mind and senses', or you should think 'I am everything, including all the people and things that I perceive.'
"Either of these two visions will eventually bring us peace, understanding and unshakable happiness. All our troubles begin only because we minx tghe two and think
"I am so and so but not such and such. This is me, but that is not me.' Don't you see? Wnen all is nothing but the self, there is no self."

Nataraja Guru (Malayalam:നടരാജ ഗുരു)(Dr. P Natarajan) was a direct disciple of Narayana Guru, a great sage and social reformer of India.


Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,. there is a field. I'll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass,. the world is too full to talk ...
Rumi

Angela PeaceMaker Diggs: Love it.♥
April Lang: Keeping it simple sweetie, It is what it is! Avoiding confusiion! ♥
Joyce Ripp: the universe always cuts me some slack.
Craig Moriarty: If we allow love to flow through us unimpeded then we can not be in error.
Brian Tate: LIKE! Not one or the other; it is All things now. Don't try to divide or dissect, just accept!
Alan Brunton: Good one Ron. I used to be a "black or white" person, then I realized it was all about the ride, the journey. Conscious observation of what you experience, beyond the physicality, beyond the emotions allows one to identify the ego and yet not care what it is doing.
Jeanne Porter Ashley: Joyce, me, too! It is me who would beat myself up over decisions and finally I got it -- any decision is a good decision -- make it and move along to the results!
Orandon Marie: Here's what I learned in my journey with paralysis...Negative things are often factual, but that doesn't mean they have to be "real" or "true". ; ) It depends on the energy we bring to the situation. In order to line-up your positive stu...ff? it helps to take a look at the negative, figure out how you are being limited. We do this, not understanding these are personal boundaries we establish with ourselves, so we can experience Divinity, no matter how broken or lost the situation seems. We can use our feelings to navigate a better circumstance... Taoism says to think of the process in terms of "adjustments". It can be a challenge to make adjustments without compassion. Compassion for ourselves...? Yes, that's needed - and if often requires that we drop the ego and just be present.
Ron Alexander: Thanks Angela PeaceMaker Diggs, April Lang, Brian Tate, Alan Brunton, Joyce Ripp, Craig Moriarty, Jeanne, & Orandon for your bright helpful comments plus all you "likers"! Me, I have swung back and forth between the negation path (I am not... my body) to the more affirmative path taught by Unity & Ernest Holmes's Science of Mind. The confusion was being mixed in both paths, and condemning those on the other path. I know I have had some differences about the "ego" - I apologize!
Ron Alexander: I chose the affirmative path, and I am sticking to it, while being aware and acceptance of all paths - I will meet you " in the fields beyond right and wrong where there is no need for talk - peaceful Golden Divine Silence! Blessings to us all!
Jeanne Porter Ashley: Yes, always blessings flowing...<em>

Subodh Kumar Misra: Revelation comes the moment knowledge ceases. There are two possibilities; either we can think about something, or we can enter into it existentially. ………Aum!
Marie Corry: Ra, same as which tree will you choose the tree of the knowledge of good or eveil or the Tree of Life. Sounds to me you've joined us in choosing to partake from the Tree of Life. Yay!
Ron Alexander: I chose the affirmative path, and I am sticking to it, while being aware and acceptance of all paths - I will meet you " in the fields beyond right and wrong where there is no need for talk - peaceful Golden Divine Silence! Blessings to us all!Jeanne Porter Ashley: Yes, always blessings flowing...
Ra Divakar: Subodh Kumar Misra: Revelation comes the moment knowledge ceases. There are two possibilities; either we can think about something, or we can enter into it existentially. ………Aum!

Angela PeaceMaker Diggs: Perfect addition Ra Divakar...I love that and Subodh Kumar Misra is surely one whom I cherish. Love sent.♥ Hugs always Ron AlexanderRon Alexander: Thanks again Angela, and I agree about Ra & Subodh' s posts. Here is a quote from one of my favorite present day St. Francis - Brother David of gratefulness.org: Bless Your Heart - In the continuous flow of blessing our heart... finds meaning and rest. David Steindl-Rast - A Listening Heart (Brother David's books are very inspirational - went to a workshop with him at Green Gulch Zen Center. The Zen's love this meditating, open hearted, accepting, aware Mystic Monk.)Adrian Drew Cunningham: Now THAT"S a Wizard!Margaret Allen Hiller: Ron, Wonder if a Brother David Steindl-Rast book would be on the possibility list for Unity's next book group?Bronagh Fitzgerald: no one is without a ego if you didnt have one youd let everyone treat ya like crap its a necessity trick is make sure it aint a diva xxx
Ron Alexander: Hi Rev. Margaret, I recommend GRATEFULNESS: THE HEART OF PRAYER - it would be a big change for the book group, as it is a fast reader. Maybe, just a change the group needs? How long have you been telling us in group - "Maybe they are both right?" Thanks for helping inspire this post!Ron Alexander: Bronagh, I agree - what we need, while in our body, is a healthy well-balanced ego. Being egotistical, an egoist, or an ego-maniac is the ego unbalanced and really trying to overcompensate for a weak sense of self. However, I think becoming egoless is an admirable goal, yet I seriously doubt most can reach that state while still in the body. The less ego-mind we have, the closer we are to the truth ultimately! So again, both are true - the egoless journey appears to be part of the negating journey such as "I am not my body."Ron Alexander: Oh Rev. Margaret, this book MIRROR by the ROAD by Peter Oppenheimer would the an awesome book for the book club!
Ron Alexander: Hmm, well let's remember the point of this dialogue:
"There is always more than one right answer. Quantum Physics proves this..."
Guru replied, "It is a disease peculiar to the Western mind to think that things must be either This or That. In... the East people think things are once 'both this and that' and neither 'this and that.' Either of these paths, ... Either you should think, 'I am nothing, not even this body, mind and senses', or you should think 'I am everything, including all the people and things that I perceive.'
"Either of these two visions will eventually bring us peace, understanding and unshakable happiness. All our troubles begin only because we mix the two and think
"I am so and so but not such and such. This is me, but that is not me.'

No comments: