Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Body!


Dean A. Banks's Photos


If we are not a body then why do we wear this meat suit? It seems to me that in God's Divine wisdom it was created for a purpose. I would really like to see how we are not attached to our bodies the next time someone stubs their toe, breaks their arm or gets a stomach virus. We exist in both worlds simultaneously and the real illusion is that we don't think so.
~Dean A. Banks, D.D
Shirley Smith: <strong>I agree. I cannot say I am dreaming this body. I am living in this body. The spirit gives me insight and maybe some foresight but I am supposed to be here doing my mission. There seems to be a healing of a split mind taking place and the medicine is love. I think it strange we have a ego and the Holy Spirit in our minds. Always choices. I know God always helps me through whatever the issue is. Life is easier with God directing the show. God uses us to help each other.
Swami Ramananda Maharaj: You might enjoy reading Sri Aurbindo on this subject who explains that we are of course this body and we are also more than this body. We are that Soul that higher consciousness that drives this body. Lord Krsna in Bhagavad Gita explains th...at the body is like a car that the soul drives and that we leave this body like a "worn out garment" and take on a new one to so that the soul can continue the adventure of consciousness. There is so much at play here the answer to this question cannot be simple, but I believe a lot of meditation will reveal your true Self
Shirley Smith: My course is always easier knowing that I am more than this experience so I don't doubt it.
Dean A. Banks: Thank you Shirley and Swami. My point here is about all of this ACIM flutter floating around on FB that we shouldn't be concerned about this world and this body. It seems to be proliferated by those who have chosen to opt for just a spiritu...al body because they are either not pleased with the physical one dealt to them, or that they feel they cannot control the one they have. There is danger in not accepting reality for what it is and yet some still teach this non-body philosophy. I agree, meditation does reveal your true self but you still end up in back in your body when you are done meditating. I believe the secret is in taking what you've learned in meditation and using it to make a better world WITH your body. Thank you both for your input!
Shirley Smith; I have studied the ACIM book and there are issues in it for me. I like the forgiveness, but I am connected to every living thing here, the tree's, people and plants. The Course is taken too literal as far as I can see. We are here to grow into our spiritual selves. The truth will appear when we are ready for it. I have had one gal tell me to ignore reality, without an explanation of the process. No can do. God walks me through what I don't understand. Part of the lesson.
Swami Ramananda Maharaj: There are so many schools of thought on this idea, but here is the question at the end of meditation do we just end up where we started. I can honestly say that is not true for me, enlightenment can be subtle, gradual, or sudden. my meditat...ion takes me to a place where i honor all of life, especially the animals who share the planet with us. I could never wear a jacket of meat just out of respect for the cow who sacrificed its life to be your jacket. I understand you are making an artistic point here and my point that if we are really reflecting on who we are, I could never be the same consciousness from second to second....I find I am growing, changing, becoming more aware, or perhaps even finding a better sense of humor. if I stub my toe, I can say that my nerves perceive that and report it to my brain as pain, I can also say that in a certain state of consciousness I do not even recall any pain, only bliss. yet it is the same body just a different perception.
Anne Williams: Thank you Dean. Yes, we are that unique mix of substance and spirit --we have the ability to be the most wonderful combo the cosmos has ever seen! ♥
Dean A. Banks: ‎@Swami: What I meant was that I return to my body from meditation but with an increase in the awareness of what I need to do to contribute to the growth and expansion of all life. Not to sit in my inner sanctum and proselytize about the nature of my soul to others but to go out into the world and commit effective service to humankind. Good points about your perceptions. Thank you.
Anne Williams: OMG Dean, I had a simlar conversation just yesterday with a friend. Yes, exactly--to come out of meditation knowing who you are, and what to do in life. Thanks for that great comment. Namaste.
Dean A. Banks: Meditation slows down your perception of time and space. It allows the constant sensory bombardment to melt away into oblivion, reducing the effect of stress on the body and mind as well as fine tuning your perceptions. It is the process by... which we move toward inner stillness and begin to understand the Divine's voice of silence. We are rejuvenated from the relaxation and our individual mission becomes clear. Daily practice is the only way to deal with the confusion and chaos of the outer world. Practice meditation diligently and reap the rewards of inner peace. ~Dean A. Banks, D.D
Ron Alexander: The body is the temple of our Spirit. It may not be who we really are, but it needs to be taken care of while we are blessed to have this miraculous collection of cells and the awesome heart beating automatically to its own Rhythm! Besides, how can we be in the moment without this self-breathing Organism and awesome senses!
Jeanne Porter Ashley ‎...the medicine IS love...enjoy the senses...enjoy life and love!.Anne Williams: ‎@ ron. Love that. Yes, we all need to "realize" that in order to exercise our spirit (the psyche-soul) we must have a body for it to live in. Existence is in the body, the Life is in and of the human psyche. (Not the heart, nor the blood--I hope we can all get over that particular ancient metaphor! LOL) Human life is based in our human brain-psyches as are our the emotions that go with it.. ♥
Ron Alexander: Dear Anne, thanks for your as usually bright response, however I have heard that science has proven that the heart has more neurons than the brain, so the verse in the Bible "thinketh in thy heart' may be more than a metaphor
Ron Alexander: Thanks so much for starting this brilliant dialogue (no dissing & cussing -"discuss"), Dean. All the comments have been so enlightening! I am copying the whole thing. I am so grateful to all of you - Shirley, Swami, Anne, Jeanne, Bent and especially Dean. Peace, Joy & Love, ron
Anne Williams Have added the Heartmath to my favorites. Thanks to all! ♥
Ron Alexander: And Ellie - "Exactly!" I so appreciate your supportive comment!
Anne Williams: ‎@ Ron. Good point, did not see that program. However, I would be interested in the "type" of neurons as to their function in the heart. I think you may be referring to the connection to the brain of the entire neural network that goes t...hroughout our bodies. And the heart, in particular may have a very stong connection emotion-wise to what we are processing in our brains both from a primary sensory aspect (that registers in our brains first) as well as the conceptualization of what we sense-are aware of. Those brainy neurons transmit directly to our hearts, our endocrine system, our stomachs. Indeed, some cultures refer to the stomach as the seat of emotions--and we have all shared those gut-wrenching emotions. So while there is definitely a connection that we feel more in our hearts or our stomachs (which also has been metaphored as having it's own brain-and I will not go farther with the brain metaphor of other body parts -Ahem-) than we are aware of in our brains, I would think that the direct and primary source of human life is in the human brain, especially the neocortex and amygdala. ♥, Namaste, Peace and VerstehenRon Alexander: Thanks so much for starting this brilliant dialogue (no dissing & cussing -"discuss"), Dean. All the comments have been so enlightening! I am copying the whole thing. I am so grateful to all of you - Shirley, Swami, Anne, Jeanne, Bent and especially Dean. Peace, Joy & Love, ron
Bent Kim Lundberg: likes this..Anne Williams Have added the Heartmath to my favorites. Thanks to all! ♥
Ron Alexander: And Ellie - "Exactly!" I so appreciate your supportive comment!
Marianne Williamson:
‎"Beyond this world there is a world I want." -- A Course in Miracles
Ron Alexander How can you be present here and now, if you think there is a better place elsewhere? Jesus said that we can have the Kingdom on Earth. How can you beat that or why would you want to?
Bill Thetford used to tell us to tear out those pages - t...hose that denigrate the world, the body and the ego! The Essence of ACIM is Healing Wisdom, however about half the pages of the workbook could be torn out. Jerry jampolsky's Attitudinal Healing Principles are a good example of the Healing Essence of ACIM
!
John Mears: Within this world is an eternal light that I love.Travis E. Duke: I'll take this one...just like it is...no where to go...nothing to get....
Jinny Koehl-gunnar: There is no place to "get". Heaven is here, Heaven is now. Anything else "need not be" (T, Chap 4)