Thursday, June 18, 2009

If I had to live my life over again

IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER

If I had my life to live over again, I'd try to make more mistakes next time. I would relax. I would limber up. I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I know of a very few things I would take seriously. I would take more trips. I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers and watch more sunsets. I would do more walking and looking. I would eat more ice cream and fewer beans. I would have more actual troubles and fewer imaginary ones. You see, I am one of those people who lives prophylactically* and sensibly and sanely hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I've had my moments; and if I had it to do over again, I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead each day. I have been one of those people who never go anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a gargle, a raincoat, aspirin and a parachute. If I had it to do over again, I would go places, do things and travel lighter than I have. If I had my life to live over, I would ride on more merry-go-rounds --- pick more daisies.
- Brother Jeremiah

Thank-you Golden, for sharing this wonderful prose and to Ella (Attainment post further down) for writing it. The last line really hits home for me. I have been amazed when I accept that everything is exactly as it should be... and put my energies into meditation and being more fully immersed in the reality of this moment... obstacles disappear and doors open... leaving me free to serve self and others with greater equanimity. Metta, Jeanne

Ron's reply:
I have been thinking about "If I had to live my life over again" on the Vegan site. I am grateful for Ella's profound thinking and for your answer, Jeane.
"I have been amazed when I accept that everything is exactly as it should be... and put my energies into meditation and being more fully immersed in the reality of this moment... obstacles disappear and doors open... leaving me free to serve self and others with greater equanimity."
"If I had to live my live over again", I would have started meditating at a much earlier time in my life, yet possibly I would not have been ready for the joy I have in the present moment. Byron Katie, whose main thrust of "The Work" is inquiring to find the "reality of the moment", would probably tell me "that I must have not been ready because I wasn't". Or something like that


See Gratitude and Vegan groups on architectsofanewdawn.com

No comments: