Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Reflecting on Sailing Again (A Different Attitude)

An ad - "1968 30ft. Morgan Sloop - Best Offer"
Hmm, one of my favorite boats was a 46 ft. Morgan
Called the number - a deeply resonate Australian accent
"Thinking about going on a walk-about,
Leave me your number, chap!"
Arranged a time to go see his boat.
Asked if he ever did radio with his voice.
"I used to be the voice for Outback Restaurants, Mate.
Gotta get rid of this boat, I am getting too old
And wifey is doing well in Conway, where we are
expanding her business."
I had left a message
for him not to call me back unless the Morgan
had an inboard diesel engine and that both
were in good shape. They both were - his Universal
Motor (from a tractor manufacture, now probably defunct)
was shiny and had that pleasing clickety diesel sound.
The boat was worn, needed some work, but basically in
good shape. It had the shapely sea-worthy looking lines
that were in my 46 foot "Beaudacious". A easy to handle
easy rig, however he admits that he is weary of a tiller
to steer by than a wheel. Admittedly, that gives me
some reservations, as all three of my boats had a steering
wheel also. Ah well, if the price is right, possibly I can
convert the steering mechanism?
Inside the main salon, galley, refrig, and foc'sle were
comfortably appointed with a small air conditioner in
forward hatch. Worn, needing some repairs like my body,
this sail boat was servicable.
That was a few days ago, and I have not called the thin
silver haired walrus mustachoied owner back yet.
However, I am seriously thinking of calling him today.
I don't see this sailing vessel as a "chick-magnet" like
my other boats, but as a meditator's cave for retreat, for
silence, simplicity and solitude. Like a cave, there I will
be closer to nature with expansive views.
I will not be cruising as much, and when sailing, it will be
shorter distances and longer stays.
However, the most important feeling I revisit when I think
of purchasing this sloop, is one of Freedom!

No comments: