Monday, September 15, 2008

Synopsis of New Memoir

Synopsis
Sailing My Father Home
The Most Difficult Oneness
Ron Alexander

Nov. 1982 to Dec. 1983 was Ron’s last year as a professional sailing captain/teacher in the Bahamas, the Carolina coasts and New England. The year started with a tragic accident. His Father was brain-injured in a car accident/stroke. Ron faced the grief of his Father’s injury, losses of first mate/lovers, all the while sailing with students in his well-named vessel Kayoss. As a youth, Ron promised himself, he would not live the same stressful driven life of his Father, yet painfully he started seeing his Father’s shadow in himself.
After completing courses in Yoga and holistic health practice, Ron sailed home to South Carolina and took his 62 year old Father out of a rest home against his Mother’s will. A decision that caused more divisiveness between his Mother and Ron. While practicing alternative healing modalities with his Father, he learned much about himself, and how to love and accept his parents with all their pain and problems.
The author writes from his own ship log/journals written day by day all year, along with reflections from his memory.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ron:

I returned to the Caribbean for two reasons, the primary being to be with my mom who was on her own and unhappy. Mom is not old, 70 now and is facing challenges related to her age. The trend is to put our parents in a home when they reach a certain age. As a teenager I would visit a senior home on my way from school and read to some of the people there. They all shared a common dilemma, they were loney and starved of attention from family. I vowed then this would never be my momi's plea. Being with her is not a sacrifice, it is life. I am only a continuim of her, her essence .. I am honoured, and all I can truly do to thank her for life is show her only love. About 2 years after I returned, mom slipped, fell, striking her head on the edge of the washing machine resulting in a fractured cheek bone, and the most hideous (massive) blood clot on the top of her head which drained down her face .. she looked like an alien in agony. That cured every little pain that I was 'nurturing' from my past concerning my mom. Now I honour her everyday with nothing but love and understanding. She's a beautiful woman. What you have done for your father Ron is one-der-full - it takes a big man to look accept the challenge of looking after elderly parents. With warm vibes of strength and peace I close ... Sabrina