Sunday, July 23, 2017

Combat Medics in Okinawa as characterized in

I just finished watching Hacksaw Ridge, Incredible and what made it incredible because it's a true story..He is the 1st conscientious objector who was awarded the Congressional medal of honor as a medic..
He saved 75 soldiers by lowering them down a cliff..
Mel Gibson directed it and didn't spare any gore..
It reminded me during the Vietnam war I registered as a CO and it wasn't that I was afraid to go, I just didn't want to kill..
So the draft lottery numbers came out and my number was 320 something so I knew I wasn't going to get drafted..
A little side note My band won battle of the band that night also..
Life just didn't get any better!!
s
Comments
Ron Alexander Very realistic, I work with a WW2 Combat Medic who fought in Okinawa. He became a medic because he did not want to kill either. The acid test is in BAsic Training, when you are required to run at a human - looking dummy yelling loudly and stick a bayonet in him. When he knew he could not do that, the sgt. sent him to the chaplain. The chaplain advised them to make a medic out of him. There was no trouble, as medics were badly needed. The reason the hero in Hacksaw Ridge got into trouble with his fellow soldiers is that he refused to carry a gun. The Medic I work with (as a volunteer at the VA) was happy to carry a gun "to protect my brothers if need be." He never had time to use that gun, and was wounded while helping save his brothers. He came home with a purple heart and a Bronze Star for bravery. At age 91, his injury still bothers him. He is more proud of coming home, using his GI Bill to get a degree from North Western and attend grad. school at U. of Chicago, afterwards he helping write the Equal Job Opportunities Act.

No comments: