Friday, May 30, 2014

STILL I RISE, in memory of Maya Angelou

Maya Angelou Wrote This Poem To Remind Everyone They're Worth So Much More
Joseph Lamour
Maya Angelou was a poet, novelist, and public figure who became an American treasure in her 86 years on earth. Her work has received accolades, and in particular, her autobiography "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" — about her early life overcoming racism and trauma by turning to the written word — has become a literature classic. Listen to a popular poem of hers, one I distinctly remember reading in the newspaper as a child, below.

Transcript: You may write me down in history With your bitter, twisted lies, You may trod me in the very dirt But still, like dust, I'll rise. Does my sassiness upset you? Why are you beset with gloom? Just 'cause I walk as if I have oil wells Pumping in my living room. Just like suns and like moons, With the certainty of tides, Just like hope springing high, Still I rise. Did you want to see me broken? Bowed head and lowered eyes? Shoulders falling down like teardrops. Weakened by my soulful cries. Does my sassiness upset you? Don't take it so hard Just 'cause I laugh as if I have gold mines Diggin' in my own backyard. You can shoot me with your words, You can cut me with your lies, You can kill me with your hatefulness, But just like life, I'll rise. Does my sexiness offend you? Does it come as a surprise That I dance as if I have diamonds At the meeting of my thighs? Out of the huts of history's shame I rise Up from a past rooted in pain I rise A black ocean, leaping and wide, Welling and swelling, I bear in the tide. Leaving behind nights of terror and fear I rise Into a daybreak miraculously clear I rise Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave, I am the hope and the dream of the slave. And so, naturally, There I go rising.
 
  • Pamela Arrington I heard her do a reading of this - I think it was on an Oprah event. She had a wonderful speaking voice to do such things. Chilling.
  •  
    Eva Tzouma Thanks for sharing this Ron. It's very inspiring!
     

    Ron Alexander Yes Pamela Arrington and Eva, I heard it recite this powerful piece I think it may have been Pres. Obama first inaugaration - very big event anyway - awesomely powerful voice also!
     

    No comments: