Thursday, August 27, 2015

Combat Medics - a different mentality? (ANGELS IN COMBAT)

One of my favorite Hospice patients was a Combat Medic in WW11 in Okinawa (where my Father served). My brother was a medevac pilot in Vietnam. I ended up in the Medical Corps in the Army, but not in Vietnam because my Brother was there at same time. Medics, I have met, like my Brother and Mr. F. in the Hospice appear to be different than most combat troops. We don't appear to  have that "warrior" mentality. My Brother Barry said "I had rather help than hurt" cementing his decision to fly unarmed medevac helicopters. Mr. F. said I could not think of sticking someone with a bayonet, which we were taught to do in training  - with a vengeance. I share that sentiment with Mr. F. He was injured crawling from one foxhole to another to aid injured soldier. He stated: "I don't see how combat medics cannot be wounded in the heat of the battle."  Like my Brother he received a Bronze star for his bravery plus a purple heart.


Ron Alexander's photo.

Ron Alexander's photo.





No comments: