Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Keel Walk by Alex Thomson / Hugo Boss

Exciting courageous act by the Captain - so much faith in his crew, boat and himself. I am sure that Hugo Boss paid him very well too!

Beata Bohac I've sailed quite a bit, but that doesn't make me an expert on sailing. However, I can't understand how the sailboat can heel over so much that the keel shows & NOT tip over!? I wonder if the boat is especially designed for this trick?
That was a funny looking wet suit he wore! LOL






  • Beata Bohac But yes! I admire his courage & skill!
  • Ron Alexander Yes, those modern sailboats are very lightweight and designed to sail on their sides if need be...not me. I like the old fashioned heavy blue water boats with heavy keels that keep you from turning over...

  •  Ron Alexander See how clean that bottom is - my boats have bottom paint and were meant to stay in the water for a year without being hauled. Those sleek modern racing sailboats have to be taken out of water after nearly every race. They needed high-end sponsors like Hugo Boss.
     
    Beata Bohac That's it, Ron. It's the lightweight of the speedboats (perhaps fiberglass?) that allows them to heel over like this. They're so slick - I amire that! But I like sturdy boats, I enjoy when the boat is heeling over - it's the coolest feeling. But not like the spedboat above.
    We were caught a few times in a storm, thank goodness we weren't too far from the shore. I'm sure, it's happened to you many times too.....




    No comments: