Friday, June 5, 2009

Prelude to my Vipassana Retreat thanks to Dr. Mike

Prelude to the Vipassana Journ

I thought it would be useful to jot down a few quick notes--for my self and others--to gather the "Why" and "What do I want to get out" of this trip.


Background: I have had some experience in formal training in meditation. First was by a Psychiatry professor in the mid '90s, then in a religious setting, and most lately with another minister.

I have heard it said that to pray is the request of the individual for God's help and guidance.
To meditate is to listen for the response.

Why do I go?
1. My conception of God has grown away from the fire and brimstone, MichaelAngelo's cousin painting of my southern Baptist background. Today, my personal thoughts of the Creator is much more than a image or a cultural rubric. I know that that power lives within me and all peoples, and living things. It is ever-present and all powerful. People having no exposure to any of the formal religous schools of thought are as much helped by this Power than anyone in any other part of the world. I'm hoping to connect more meaningfully with this Power.
2. This will be an immersion experience, like another I've had in a group setting where we all can sense and experience this Power. Today some of my most connected feelings with this Power is with my son, on Nature hikes. That is where is see the Creator at work, with none of the flaws that I have.
3. I get to get out of this rat race for a minute and do something that I want to heal me, from the toxicity of living.
4. I've been told to live, it is "an inside job."

What do I want?
1 Simply, I want that Power to be in control of my thoughts, feelings, and actions. I have asked for this many a time, and remarkably have seen it transpire. Sometimes it may not, in my time, so at least I can seek guidance so my will be more in line with the Power's
2 I need self love. I'm hyper-critical, engage in negative self talk, and have a lot of various life traumas to overcome. At forty some say I'm mid-life and it certainly has taken it's toll!
3 I'm hoping this self love can translate into better relations with my fellow man and woman in all spheres of my existence. I would like forgiveness for those I have trespassed upon and those who have transgressed upon me.
4. I need more responsibility in living my life as a man, and the inner peace to do that in a most noble fashion.


"What an order?" I hope not.

I have expounded on these thoughts as a prelude to my journey. Please feel free to comment on anything here, or add anything that relates to your personal journeys in the question for that Power. I am not asking anyone to challenge me nor am I challenging you on your conception of God/Higher Power/etc. You may believe, or not. If you find this offensive, I can only state that this is no intention for that, and simply ignore and more on, as you have that right.


Best to all,
Mike

No comments: