Wednesday, June 17, 2009

How do you return to love when you are upset? Feeling attacked?

How do you return to love when you are upset? Feeling attacked?
Posted by Ron Alexander Return to Love group on architectsofanewdawn.com

In our profound in-depth dialogue group on Eckhart Tolle's book A New Earth - Awakening to Your Life's Purpose, we dialogued in depth about that question.
Here is Tolle's summation: Whenever you are upset about an event, a person, or a situation, the real cause is not the event, person, or situation but a loss of true perspective that only space (I call spirit, some call beingness or consciousness) can provide. You are trapped in object consciousness, unaware of timeless inner space of consciousness itself. The words "This too, will pass" when used as a pointer can restore awareness of that dimension to you.
Another pointer to the truth in you is contained in the following statement: "I am never upset for the reason I think."
Eckhart is talking about the "perception of the ego, instead of Spirit." We all agreed.
An inquiry into "what really upset me" can lead me to the inner space of consciousness where peace and quiet can help reveal the answer.
The key is to take a moment and go to Inner Peace, and transform the "attack" back to what is it all about as ACIM states "An attack is a call for love."
Linda's great question: "What if we could be grateful for everything?" can be applied here - to go inside and come back with a "thank you (for asking for my love).
Byron Katy goes further when she is being verbally attacked: "she pauses and goes inside and then states: thank you, I can find that (for example being called a "judgemental bitch"). We all have everything anyway so it really diffuses the situation if we admit it.
"In our defenselessness, our safety lies." ACIM What does this statement mean?
How do you drop your defenses and return to love? How do you respond rather than react?

Lee, that is an excellent response? Thank you, I add you as another fine teacher on this magnificent site. It sounds like you believe that "An Attack is a call for love."?I would like to add a couple of my favorite quotes from your profound writing:

I was literally trying to impress those that loved me, because productivity is the measure of my success.
...
...self, how do you want to measure your success as a human being?" The answer was loud and clear, "I want to measure my success as a human being by how well I love". Therefore I am no longer much more than an average producer, and quite fond of being just that, because it gives me a lot more of myself to share with other humans, each one grand in their own way (but none quite so grand as my daughters).


Lee do these sentences pretty well summarize your great conclusion? a cosmos of gratitude, ron

Lee replies back - "An attack may be a call for self love." This brought up an interesting dialogue about "self love vs. narcissm" in our Eckhart Tolle group.

WORD FOR THE DAY (gratefulness.org)
Wednesday, Jun. 24

All attack is a call for help. When you know this,
you begin at once to look deeply into the
question of what kind of help is being called for.



Neale Donald Walsch
Tomorrow's God

Comment by MARCELLE MENDEZ HOW DO YOU RETURN TO LOVE AFTER BEING ATTACKED? REMEMBER THAT WE ARE ALL FROM THE SAME SOURCE, SPIRIT; AND THOSE THAT HURT OTHERS ARE THEMSELVES IN A LOT OF PAIN. IT IS HELPFUL TO KNOW THIS AND TO TRY TO HAVE COMPASSION FOR THOSE WHO ARE IN MORE PAIN AND SUFFERING THAN MAYBE WE ARE................PRAYER IS PROBABLY THE MOST POWERFUL WAY TO STEP OUT OF THE WAY OF BEING ATTACKED. PRAY FOR THOSE IN PAIN.MARCELLE