Monday, July 27, 2015

AWAKENING LOVING-KINDNESS Pema Chodron






Based on talks given during a one-month meditation retreat at Gampo Abbey, this book contains teachings that were intended to inspire and encourage practitioners to remain wholeheartedly awake to everything that occurs and to use the abundant material of daily life as their primary teacher and guide. The message for the retreat participants—and for the reader as well—is to be with oneself without embarrassment or harshness. This is instruction on how to love oneself and one's world. 

  AWAKENING LOVING-KINDNESS TO ALL PEOPLE
Our new book group at UnityCharleston will be based on this book with added AWAKENING LOVING-KINDNESS TO ALL PEOPLE (this will be a diverse group)
Awakening Loving-Kindness by Pema Chodron (Nov 5 1996)
www.amazon.com




Ron Alexander: I have a friend who told me that she was the most present person he had ever communicated with...


By A Customer on May 3, 1998
This tiny book has had a huge impact on my life. While I have often been glibly advised to live with kindness, or by the golden rule, I have never seen such clarity on HOW to live with kindness and compassion toward others, and especially toward self. This is a book to read over and over, to highlight and to underline. A book to absorb. Themes are joy, balance, fear, trust, kindness, openness, wisdom, perspective, courage, and awareness.

This tiny book is an abridged version of "Wisdom of No Escape," Ani Chödrön's first major work. Ani is a title for Buddhist Nuns or Bhikshunis. She is spiritual director of Gampo Abbey (named for the medieval master Gampopa). However, only 4 chapters were excluded. Its size is conducive to carrying it around with you for inspiration or to share with others (I tend to give away books after reading them). Its major points include: not preferring samsara (the usual, relative world) to nirvana (the ultimate world), integrating taught and experienced Dharma (teachings), (p. 122): playfulness-learning to play like a raven in the wind, Tonglen (sending and receiving practice), Bodhichitta (compassion), and the wheel of life. It includes some less than obvious observations such as:

p. 28: "the desire to change fundamentally a form of aggression toward oneself...If you throw out your neurosis, you also throw out your wisdom."

p. 60: Life is such a miracle, and a lot of the time we feel only resentment about how it's all working out for us."

It also includes some of her wonderful teaching stories:

pp. 65-7: samurai who asked a master to explain heaven and hell

pp. 75-7: God with ½ red and ½ blue hat walking down the middle of a street.

Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
A good friend recommended Pema Chodron's books to me, and I am so glad I took his advice and bought this book! I keep this little book in my purse and carry it with me everywhere, and read it in those "wasted" moments waiting in a doctors office, or riding in a car, even while waiting in line at the bank on a Friday afternoon. The poor thing is wrinkled and bent from use, travel, and being read, over and over! There is much wisdom here in Pema Chodron's easy to read, easy to understand book, and it can be applied to anyone of any faith. I recommend Awakening Loving- Kindness to everyone!

By "joystjohn" on October 17, 2000
Format: Paperback
A little gem of a book. I highly recommend it. I keep it in my sack with me most of the time even though I have read it twice through already. She really drives home the truth that trying to change yourself is aggression against yourself. I have found a lot of wisdom in this tiny tome. Please partake, too.

By Ivan Crnic Jr. on May 25, 2005
Format: Paperback
I picked this up on whim from my local library and was far from disappointed. I've been getting into a lot of the pocket classics lately, and this one is top five for me.

Chodron has helped me enter a simple kind of meditation called 'tonglen.' Unlike many forms of meditation we hear about, this one is very practical and beneficial in many venues. There are many useful sections in this book. A must bye for pocket classics fans.

By Marykay Barnes on December 17, 2007
Format: Paperback
I love Pema's philosophy. This book just helped me to remember to practice spiritual practices in my daily life. She helps me to remember to soften my heart and not get triggered over situations, people, etc. that I have no control over.
By Kick-Azz-Angel on October 17, 2007
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
You are right next to my pillow and before going to sleep, I daily read some of your insightful words. You make my heart glow!! In loving kindness to a wonderful teacher.
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
One of the best introductions to Buddhist philosophy. Fits in a pocket, backpack or purse. Appropriate for anyone, regardless of personal religious views. I keep buying this book and giving it away. Can't say enough to recommend it. 6 Stars!
 

No comments: