Saturday, January 3, 2015

Why My Story Should be Told

This was sent to story telling contest:
 
Finding my brother's dogtag at the Viet Nam Experience at Patriots' Point on Veterans Day (2014)
 
I read in newspaper that 100 dog tags of South Carolina casualties of the Viet Nam war were displayed at the Viet Nam Experience at Patriot's Point. I have a powerful story to tell about the horrors of war at finding his dog tag over there. I call it "dog tags and body bags", as when he came home to buried, he was in a body bag. My Mother, bless her heart, held out secretly for years that it was not his body in that bag. Someone asked me why the body bag was not opened, and I told them that was not done. For one thing, can you imagine the soldiers whose job was it to place the possibly blown apart bodies in the bags. For sure, these soldiers would be under much duress, possibly even being shot at? The story is about the injurious effect it had on my Mother for holding out for 27 years that he was hopefully an MIA. The way, we found out that it was really his body, was dramatic and well-publicized - in newspapers and on National Television and healing for my Mom especially.
I think this story needs to be heard, so that people can learn about how doing grief work is very healing even if it takes a long time. Also, more need to learn why war is hurtful to both sides, and how soldiers, at war, are innocent at heart. My Brother was a pilot on a Medi-vac red-crossed helicopter, because he liked the Viet Nam natives, and did not want to fly armed helicopters. In addition, the army had a hard time finding pilots who would pilot these unarmed helicopters. Furthermore, the story shows how brothers can be deeply affected with the grief and survivor's guilt, as I was in the army at the same time, however not in Viet Nam, as two brothers were not supposed to be in combat at same time.
 
would like to hear your story.  I'm partial to Viet Nam vets.  We never received the recognition we deserved. I remember an old WWII vet telling me before I was drafted that when you came home you'd never have to buy a beer in  bar. What a surprise to arrive in CA to have protesters on the pier and people rallying around the flag I was fighting against. I never did get that free beer. 
-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Young
Thanks a lot Tony, I am taking some vets, if I get free tickets to the Hall of Fame game and hopefully meet with Daniel Rodriquez, the Clemson war hero. If you want to go, let me know?  Ron

No comments: