Sunday, August 5, 2012

Holy Cow! A Holy Day in the Holy City!


But today we kneel only to truth,
follow only beauty,
and obey only love.
Kahlil Gibran (gratefulness.org)
I started out at Unity of Charleston early in AM for meditation for an hour and then a another half hour later with a meditation lesson! A homeless guy was sleeping at church - very confused, I met with him between sittings and afterwards. He was very confused and when he told me that God "hated him". I responded that we (at Unity) did not believe in a condemning God. He told me that I would not get him into church (Sunday) with that. I told him that he had a free will, and he could do what he wanted. "FREE" was the key word he wanted to hear. I saw his shoulders relax and his eyes soften every time he heard that word. He was clean and sober (I have much experience with that analysis), so I offered him a ride to near where I was going and he accepted it. His racist hateful comments heard earlier were much gentler and more compassionate on drive, as I reminded him that "Truth sets you free!" I feel like I ended up with a friend in Spirit, although I am glad he has a place to go back to, as I did not want to rescue him.

The afternoon was spent with a Christian who I would call a New Testament (he believes in loving Lord not in a mean one), however he believes in the rapture though not so radical as those who believe that "When Jesus returns, every one who has been saved will go with him to 'Heaven'".
He thinks that in "glorified bodies", Jesus will come back with his Followers and help rehabilitate the "Kingdom on Earth". Also, I like that he says that "Jesus did not invent Christianity, but that he created His Way for others to follow, but with a FREE WILL, so the theme of Freedom persisted.

That evening, I was having a healthy meal at Earth Fare, when I heard some young people taking about a Kirtan at the "Holy Cow" - a Yoga Studio, nearby. It turned out to be an outstanding chanter and group mostly from California. It was very uplifting and enTRANCING at same time.
What a day! Charleston is nicknamed the Holy City, I think because of all the old steeples around and very diverse religions very early in our country's history. One of first Synagogues, United Congregationals Universalists,  a Mosque, and a Congregational Church besides all the Protestant an Catholic places of worship.

Girishmusic.com - Aum Namah Shivaih!
"Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames." ~Rumi

No comments: