Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What about loving relationships?

Last year, I was invited to a men's group comprised of men from a local spiritual community. I was dismayed that the subject was all about finding the right woman for a wife. I was told later that one reason is that the Guru of this group demands celibacy outside marriage. However, I have never seen so many needy grieving men. I told them that if I came back, I would be glad to lead them in exploring their needs and grief. I also told them to be careful what they were wishing for after getting out of a very unconscious marriage myself. I went ahead this year and formed my own men's group with a group of diverse men who are much more conscious.

A person who feels whole within themselves makes a better partner. I am not interested in a partner unless she "knows herSelf really well.

Reply by Lee
Candice said: I do agree with this, even if it's using their own children to "look good". This is exactly why my "philosophy" is if I don't know: Who I am, what I need and how to get that, I am literally dangerous because without meaning to, I will hurt myself and those around me.


For me it is somewhere in this process of getting to know ourself that the beauty of humanity lies. The innate thirst for peace and the consequential desire to know ourself is beautiful in and of itself. Additionally, as we unintentionally hurt ourself and those around us due to our very human lack of knowledge the flipside is an almost innate understanding of that condition from which things such as forgiveness, empathy, and understanding come from. As I begin to understand (and I am just beginning) my shortcomings I am dumbfounded by the ability of those that love me to have forgiven me so far in my life.

So, as to the four questions, the only answers I have ever been able to come up with are: I am me, I am energy (maybe), I am learning, and I may or may not have an actual purpose. However, as I learn and exist as energy in the form of me, I enjoy being kind, I like being treated kindly, and I like to find ways to use love to facilitate this kindness. This is how I attempt to quench this innate thirst for peace, and the most important thing to know about who and what I am is that I am flawed, and I am going to make mistakes. Thankfully so is everyone else, so I kind of fit in.

No comments: