Friday, January 23, 2009

God's Will or Mom's will?



Inheritance Irony Ron Alexander


As a vagabond youth, I scoffed and laughed

at those who were bound by their earthly possessions.

In fact, I rebelled against those imprisoning things.

Interestingly, now that I face the reading of my Mother’s will,

I am the one not wanting to let go of my material goods.


Pulling up anchor, I used to sneer at the permanently moored

and dockside sailors, who wanted to remained tethered to the electric cord.

You would think the extension is an umbilical cord.

A “beached” sailor is a description of one who has lost their freedom.

Ironically, now I am a landlubber in a beach house,

where I was hoping to spend the rest of my days.


However, there have been strong hints from Mom’s sister:

“You don’t think you are going to inherit that house do you?

B. (my nephew-Mom’s only grandchild) was brought up there.

He has the rest of his life, you are near the end.”


However, reflecting on my former rebellious attitude,

am I not better off sailing away free,

for aren’t the true treasures heavenly instead of earthly.

After all, my first boat I named “Free Spirit”.

Now I am grateful of my Aunt’s warnings,

as I will go into the reading of the will with an open mind.

Is it God’s Will or Mom’s will?

I claim my highest good, which is God's Will.

Do I remain beached or sail away again or?

No comments: